Sunday, June 11

TONY Turns Sixty

Ten minutes to go, I'm excited and ready. You can guess who I'm rooting for... the cast album of that gem came out this week, almost three weeks ahead of schedule in time for this weekend. I'm hoping my parents picked it up for me on their way to the airport to pick up my brother's girlfriend tonight on our vacation. We'll see. If they did, it won't matter who wins because I'll have my very own award to listen to and revel in all night! Holla! (back later with the results/commentary)

844: So far, I'd have to say that SWEENEY's musical performance was the best part of the show. Although I wasn't impressed with the show itself, they did a bang up job for this telecast. I mean, come on. Why would DROWSY want to only show Ms Foster? Didn't they want to do "Toledo Surprise" or "I Do I Do in the Sky" to showcase more people? Alas. At least the show won both Book and Music & Lyrics. It would have been a terrible thing otherwise.

848: Liza's a class act. Ugh, remember ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR? Ugh.

851: Oooo. John Doyle awarded by a superb Hank Azaria and Oliver Platt for SWEENEY. Happy anniversary to him and his partner Robert -- great anniversary gift, eh? That's why I love the TONYs, because people can thank their partners without any g-d hoopla. BUT, did they voters see the show? Come on. I couldn't understand the story because the emphasis for the audience was just based on "O, Patti's playing the tuba. How hysterical!"

854: Pesci and three of the four seasons - oh brother. More jukebox musicals. Sorry John Lloyd Young, I just can't stand 'em.

857: But gosh, he sure can sing. And the scenic design is pretty, too. Thank you TONYs for concentrating on these musical numbers instead of having another disaster like WICKED was.

906: O! Audra is brilliant. And heck, Ben Vereen and Julie Andrews - can it get any better?

908: Yes. Dick Van Dyke, Mandy Patinkin (and what are those glasses for...?), Jennifer Holliday. Heck yes.

911: AWAKE AND SING! Grand. Actually, I just realized about four weeks ago that Andre Bishop is white. Ha, I don't know why I thought otherwise. O, I'm so pleased - I almost didn't go see it, except for this guy who sat next to me the first time I saw DROWSY and he said it was really wonderful. Bernie is a little bit wordy, huh?

916: I think someone needs to rethink the rules for the nominating committee. THE WEDDING SINGER? Oh no. The lyrics are atrocious, the music, everything -- please close. Please close soon. Let's finally let them nominate anyone they want or only two or three or whatever instead of forcing ridiculous nominees like this one. I mean, good for the cast for having work, but, hey, you can go out on a TheatreWorks tour or something. Or whatever. YUCK.

925: Thank you! cast of SPAMALOT for making this annual boring speech about what the Wing does really funnny! Holla!

929: Sara Ramierz and TR Knight --> I LOVE them on GREY'S ANATOMY. Carolee maybe doesn't deserve it for this role, but gosh she's greand. Beth Leavel is THE WINNER! "YES!" says Sara Ramiez!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA! "Oh my gooness gracious sakes alive. breathe. breathe. Thank you life for the priviledge ... this role of a lifetime ... I AM FLYING. Cheers, dahling, I love my job, thank you!" [here she is on stage with Danny Burstein. brilliant.] Beedow is SO pleased -- this is the only award he truly cared about. Leavel is just absolutely superb in this role, in this show, everything about it.

933: O, Cyndi is still as bad as she was when I saw it. Sorry, girlfriend, stick to what you know.

943: The audience goes WILD over the Bush knock, "a republican puppet... that rings a bell."

945: WHOA. A total upset, Christian Hoff wins Featured Actor in a Musical. Holy cow. NO ONE expected that. It was Jim Dale 100%. "This is a perfect story," he says as he says hello to his new baby in his wife's womb. "Hi baby." Wow, that was a big surprise.

950: Brian Stokes Mitchell narrates a very weird living montage. What the hell were they thinking? Hal Prince, though, couldn't be there in person thanks to his Vegas PHANTOM. "I'm a lucky guy." And now we have to hear "Music of the Night" and haha! This abriged version confuses Howard McGillin as the orchestra went where he didn't. That was awkward. REALLY awkward.

1000: The inevitable Julia Roberts entrance. "You people are insanely talented people." Well, at least she looked great.

1004: And, of course, it goes to Richard Griffiths in his Broadway debut as THE HISTORY BOYS puts another notch on the wall. "In all those years I have never been able to, with a sweep of my arm, address six thousand human beings. It's quite gratifying." Thanks his wife who persuaded him not to quit, "what a clever idea that was."

1011: Kelli O'Hara managed to make quite the switch between PIAZZA and PAJAMA GAME. Wish I had been able to get tickets to that, but it was sold out.

1017: Rita Wilson is making her Broadway debut tomorrow night in CHICAGO? Hrmph. Musical Revival goes to PAJAMA GAME. Interesting - but probably the choice I would have made, too, considering I've seen the other two and didn't want it to go there.

1020: August Wilson/Wendy Wasserstein memorial --> damn! James Earl Jones shows actors how to do a monologue, for sure. Cynthia Nixon, though, should have picked her other, instead of talking to the whole six thousand people. And the memoriam section was so tasteful, as we didn't have the scattered applause that makes the Oscars so atrocious.

1026 (commercial break): I'm not opposed to this non-host evening. In fact, I think it makes a lot of sense. There's no worrying about trying to have enough time for the host to say something funny, come back and entertain the audience, etc. I'll be interested to see what Millie (NYC Entertainment Addict) has to say from her seat inside the awards, but from the comfort of my vacation house bed, I think it's great. It keeps the telecast moving very smoothly.

1030: "If the play isn't worth dying for, maybe it isn't worth writing," Terrence McNally quoted by David Hyde Pierce. Not surprisingly, HISTORY BOYS wins Best Play, underscored (again) by "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered." Alan Bennett himself will accept it. Hmm... usually the producer's job, no? Plus, his bowtie's knocked a bit... at least it's not a clip on! That's the English for you.

1033: Oprah arrives to "celebate (sic) Broadway" and THE COLOR PURPLE... which, offered a really solid musical number. I didn't see the show, but it looks like it might be another cult classic like CAROLINE, OR CHANGE and DESSA ROSE (in style and theme). And this is how you showcase a musical -- LaChanze has her opportunity to "show off" within the confines of a company number. I like that. And she's so beautiful.

1045: Thank you Glenn Close for pronounced Michael Cerveris' name correctly, emphasis on the first syllable. A crazy category - but Young pulled it off as expected. Ben Brantley sit down, I know you're thrilled. These Jersey Boys are a bit self-indulgent, I'm sorry. I don't want to sound terrible, but oh well.

1047: I LOVE BERNADETTE, so much! Goodness, another huge name category, and Chita looks surprised at what show she's in. LaChanze wins it, and Sutton Foster mouths "oh good!" She was very sweet and happy, and I'm very glad she got it... now I just wish I had seen her show.

1055: Broadway legend Julie Andrews in a perfect red dress. What a voice. What a woman. I can't even imagine that voice announcing one's name -- what it must feel like. And the winner is... JERSEY BOYS. Well, like the critics said, the road houses know they'll make a huge buck on it if it wins, so. Sorry, DROWSY. But you won book and score, so, really, you are the best new musical. JERSEY BOYS is the best old musical.

1059: Julie signs off from this "magical night" and asks people to support live theatre. "Here's to the next sixty years." Nothing like ending on time.

2 comments:

J.J. said...

A fine assessment of the proceedings. Another note: I loved the four plants they put in the front row, so they could get a "true" theatrical vibe while filming performances. It was, like, three stock-still guys and then one lady on the left who was bounching in her seat and clapping along. One of the the best speeches ever in the awards show circuit: Beth Leavel ("Thank you...LIFE"). One of the worst ever: John Lloyd Young (It appears the man has issues ill-suited to a night of celebration). Also, I am so very glad LuPone lost. Her perf last night reminded me how disengaged and unimaginative she was in Sweeney. I would've plunked Lansbury back into that role in a heartbeat, age be damned.

Beedow said...

oh, agreed -- JLY acted like a child -- both of the Jersey Boys were quite sad it seemed. Yeah, I thought that maybe since everyone keeps talking about how grand SWEENEY was that it was the alcohol I had consumed before the show which made me hate it. Untrue.